Friday, July 22, 2005

Speech Impediment

I have this absolutely annoying habit - annoying to myself and, I'm sure in no lesser degree to my listeners - of making pauses in the middle of a sentence. I absolutely hate it. When it happens, I just stop in front of a noun or verb while my brain page faults and loads more vocabulary.

I think this is caused by my hopeless perfectionism. Every sentence I say has to be perfect, and so I have brought myself to the point where I can't even utter simple short sentences without sounding like a deranged, senile, absent-minded fool.

The habit has got to go, and I'm taking measures to get rid of it. Like not trying to come up with extremely sophisticated sentence structures, or using exotic vocabulary.

In the meantime please excuse me while I ... ponder on a more ... suitable way to ... express my ... sentiments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

are you from new york? everybody does this in new york.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Tobias Klüpfel said...

Really? No, I'm not from New York, but at least I know where to go now if the problem gets any worse.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home