Sunday, June 12, 2005

I killed my first PC yesterday

Not computer. Player Character. I'm a Dungeon Master.

For those who do not know what the Dungeon Master means, I will not explain right now, but rest assured that it has nothing to do with anything sexual. Or sexy.

I've always been dreading the moment when the first of my players actually bought the farm. We have been playing in this group for almost ten years, and the mortality rate has, up to now, been zero. But sometimes events force your hand.

The abovementioned character tried to get around a monster on a swaying draw bridge by running at it, and jumping over the side of the bridge at the last possible moment. The plan was to catch hold of the rope on the side and use it to swing around the monster.

He rolled a 7 (In our system, low is bad, and rolls go up to twenty, or more). There was nothing I could do. He fell to his death.

In retrospective, it was a liberating experience. It's easier than you would think. And fun.

I think I am going to do it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home