Thursday, October 27, 2005

I'm sitting in the train home. It's very crowded. Suddenly, someone addresses me.

"Hello".

I look up from my laptop. A large, black purse snaps open in my face, revealing an orange and green ID card. A fat, red-faced man is holding it right in my face. At first, I think he wants to check my ticket, then my eyes focus on the writing on the ID.

Schwerbehindertenausweis.

Proof of disability. I'm sitting on a seat to be given to disabled persons on request. Of course I get up.

I would have given him the seat even if I hadn't been required to do so. In fact, I routinely offer my seat to the elderly. What nettles me was that he didn't have the decency to say anything beyond the first Hello.

What's wrong with you? Is your disability an impairment of manners? Are you challenged decency-wise?

It's not discrimination to be offended by somebody like this. An asshole is an asshole, whether he is white, black, or disabled.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

True!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home